WEEK 1: June 19, 2018

Sister Hammond is furthest right on the second row



Oi!! Tudo Bem!!!
GUYS I AM A MISSIONARY! I CANT BELIEVE IT!! When I walk past mirrors I get so excited to see that little black tag when I walk past mirrors!! Sou uma missionaria por la igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Ultimos Dias!!! I am so happy to be here! The CTM is crazy though.

My companion is Sister Rosenberg and she is awesome!! We lived one building away from each other at BYU and now here we are!! The CTM has 60% Brazilian missionaries and only 40% Hispanic/North American but in the next month it changes to 60% North American and 400 missionaries!! THE WORK IS PROGRESSING!! Everything is Portuguese here. My teachers don't speak English. They only Speak Portuguese and we're only allowed to speak Portuguese back to them! So we were forced to learn Portuguese SO FAST!!! I am doing awesome!! I am able to understand about 80% of what people say and I can have full conversations with the Brazilian missionaries and my teachers! We have taught 3 full lessons to our "investigator" in only Portuguese! Sis Rosenberg sometimes has a hard time which can be frustrating but what she lacks in language she makes up for in the most amazing testimony I have ever heard!! The spirit is so strong in our lessons even though the language is broken. Our district is AWESOME! They work hard and its awesome! We have 8 sisters and 2 elders and I LOVE THEM!!! The World Cup has started in futbol and the Brazilians are NUTS! Whenever Brazil makes a goal, The whole country lights up. On Sunday, Sister Rosenberg and I were studying in the atrium and Brazil made a goal and we heard fireworks that sounded like gunshots so we freaked out and fell on the floor! Then we heard the shouting and music and stuff and we understood. It is a big deal.

Miracle: Yesterday was a hard day for me because I felt like I wasn't able to teach the gospel effectively. So I prayed really hard for comfort in my ability to serve. And that day, 3 times someone mentioned that Alma 13:27 made them think of me as a missionary. I didn't even tell any of them that I was having a rough time. When I read the scripture finally, it felt like an answer straight from God. Go read it. Read through 29 because those are awesome scriptures!

(27 And now, my brethren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance;

28 But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;

29 Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest.)

I am so happy to be here and to be learning the wonderful language of Portuguese. But more than that I want to tell people that God loves them, they can be with their families  forever, and Christ died so their sins can be cleansed. These truths are so important to me. Thank you for all of your support! I love you all!!

Love,
Sister Hammond 

(Here is an interesting article about the Brazil MTC that was just published in the Church News.
  https://www.ldschurchnews.com/global/2018-06-21/angels-are-walking-these-hallways-the-ins-and-outs-of-the-brazil-mtc-47412)

Comments

Popular Posts